Béchamel or Béchamelle is a white sauce made from 3 ingredients: milk, butter and flour. It is used as a base in cooking. It was created by Louis de Béchameil who was a Marquis working for Louis XIV. He was in charge of his cooking and domestic personal.
Prep. time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 2 minutes
Ingredients (for 4 people):
- 8.5 fl oz of 2% fat milk
- 0.7 oz of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Optional: a very, very small pinch of nutmeg
- In a big pot, melt the butter (on low heat).
- Remove butter from heat and add little by little the flour. Mix it well. Remove from heat.
- In a small pot, slowly boil the milk and let it boil for a couple of seconds.
- Pour the milk on the butter / flour while whipping it constantly.
- Put the big pot back on low heat and keep mixing / whipping for a minute or 2 or until you reach the desired consistency.
- Whip it well to avoid lumps.
You can use this sauce in lasagnas, with poultry, pasta, anything you like :)